Monday 29 May 2017

Artisan Watercolour Technique

Hello, and thanks for visiting today. I promised I would show you some of the water colouring techniques I have been studying at the Regional Gallery.

This gorgeous stamp set Touches of Texture is just so easy to work with.
I used Arches Aquarelle paper for this technique, as it has a real tooth and soaks up the colours so thirstily. I generally use the Stampin' Up watercolour paper, but this technique works best with a really heavy paper.
I have a selection of different papers I use, and the results differ greatly, depending on the result you want to achieve.

To achieve this look I stamped in Memento tuxedo black ink, then took my thick brush and did a water wash over the area outside the stamped image in the places where I wanted a background effect.
I then applied the background colours by drawing a line with my Stampin' Write markers, without touching the stamped image, but staying close to the flower. 
I used a number 4 round brush for this, and came in with a number 2 round brush in the finer areas, dragging the colour out towards the edges of the background. 
When I had achieved the desired result I heat set the ink.

To colour the flowers I used the number 2 round brush dipped in water, then picked up colour from the lid of the ink pad. The stripes were made by simply leaving some areas bare. 

   I did the same technique with the centres and the leaves, and used a white Jellyroll marker to make a stippled ring around the middle of the petals, which gives a real 3D effect, as though the petals are curving outwards.




You can see in this close-up how I kept the background colours outside the stamped image.

The colours I used were Crushed Curry, Tempting Turquoise, Garden Green and Melon Mambo.
I stamped the words I Love You. You Are Fabulous, using the Thoughtful Banners Stamp Set onto Melon Mambo Cardstock.

Here you can see the stippled white ring I made with the white Jellyroll pen. 

I was absolutely thrilled with the result, and am looking forward to using this technique with all my large floral stamps.
I mounted the card onto Tempting Turquoise Cardstock, and used the same watercolour paper for the inside layer of the card.
Mission Accomplished!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.

Touches of Texture   Wood Mount 141934   Clear Mount 140517

 Thanks so much for shopping with me!  Vicki  x 💝


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a marvellously creative day! Vicki x